Houston Guardianship Attorney Tutela

Houston Guardianship Lawyer

Serving Harris County, TX and Contiguous Counties. Hablamos Español.

A guardianship is a legal measure that removes the rights of individuals who cannot care for themselves and gives legal authority to someone else to make decisions for them. Because guardianships take away the self-control and self-management of the person, it must be decided by the courts. Guardianships may be needed for people due to their age or disability. When guardianships are granted by a judge, the person to be cared for is called the “ward.” Guardians can be authorized for both minors as well as disabled adults who cannot make basic decisions about their lives. 

If you need to seek or contest the guardianship of an incapacitated adult or a minor, you will need the legal assistance of a competent attorney. At The Mora Law Firm P.L.L.C., you can turn to La Abogada de la Comunidad Mayra Mora for the help you need. She operates her boutique firm as a sole proprietor who handles all cases herself; you will never be turned over to an assistant or paralegal. Her policy is to provide you with one-on-one assistance throughout all phases of the legal process, ensure you understand the law, and help you safely and smoothly navigate the court system. She works to thoroughly prepare your case and help you achieve your desired legal goals. 

Talk to Houston guardianship attorney Mora about your legal case in a confidential consultation. Call The Mora Law Firm P.L.L.C. at (832) 346-6330 or contact us online today

Guardianship Services in Houston: Navigating Local Resources and Challenges

Living in Houston, you may be familiar with our community's unique challenges regarding guardianship issues. Whether you're dealing with the complexities of caring for an elderly parent in the Heights or ensuring the well-being of a disabled adult in Montrose, understanding the local legal landscape is crucial. The Harris County Probate Courts play a significant role in guardianship cases, ensuring that the rights and best interests of the ward are protected.

One of the common pain points for Houston residents is navigating the bureaucratic maze of local government entities. The process can be overwhelming, from filing the necessary paperwork with the Harris County Clerk's Office to attending hearings at the Harris County Civil Courthouse. This is where The Mora Law Firm P.L.L.C. provides invaluable assistance. 

Houston's diverse population also means that language barriers can complicate legal proceedings. The Mora Law Firm P.L.L.C. bilingual services are a significant asset, helping Spanish-speaking clients from neighborhoods like East End and Gulfton understand their rights and responsibilities. Our commitment to one-on-one consultations ensures you receive the attention and clarity you need without the confusion that often comes with legal jargon.

Commonly Asked Questions

What is guardianship and when is it necessary?

Guardianship is a legal framework where a person is given the authority to make decisions on behalf of another individual, known as the ward, who is unable to manage their own affairs due to age or disability. It is necessary when a person cannot make basic life decisions and requires someone else to ensure their well-being and manage their affairs. The process is overseen by the courts to protect the interests of the ward.

Can The Mora Law Firm, P.L.L.C. help contest a guardianship?

Yes, The Mora Law Firm, P.L.L.C. can assist in both seeking and contesting guardianships. Whether you believe a guardianship is necessary for a loved one or you think a current guardianship arrangement is not in the best interest of the ward, Mayra Mora can provide legal representation and advice to address your concerns and advocate for the ward's rights and well-being.

    "Very impressed; she really knows the law and fights a hard fight."

    - Christine D.

    "She provided insightful and helpful guidance on immigration issues."

    - Hector G.

    "She helped tremendously with my case. She was very responsive, polite, and knowledgeable. Great person to have on your team."

    - Jimmy S.

    "Her staff is wonderful; always on top of everything!!!"

    - Gail R.

Guardianships in Texas

Guardianships allow the guardian to make financial and other life decisions and generally fall into two categories: 

  • Guardian of the estate. This gives the guardian the authority to control the ward’s property and finances.
  • Guardian of the person. This gives the guardian control of the ward’s personal life, such as living arrangements, education, healthcare, and more. 

One individual can be appointed by the court to serve as both the guardian of the person and of his or her estate, depending on the circumstances. 

Texas law defines an incapacitated person in several ways, such as someone who is mentally, physically, or legally incompetent. For incapacitated adults, courts must design guardianships to give the incapacitated person the opportunity to develop or maintain “maximum self-reliance and independence.” 

This means that guardianships can be created on a limited basis that allows the person to retain certain rights or control. While courts have the right to appoint a guardian with full authority over the person, their job is to ensure that the guardianship is only as restrictive as necessary. 

Guardianships for a Minor

Legal guardians can be authorized by the courts to care for minors under the age of 18. As a legal guardian, you act as the child’s parent in providing a home, general care, and upbringing, such as food, clothing shelter, and emotional nurture. Relatives such as grandparents, aunts, and uncles as well as family friends often become legal guardians to minors in need. This generally occurs when parents are no longer able to care for the child or the child’s parents have passed away. Where parents are still alive, they may no longer have the right to make decisions about the child but parental rights may or may not be terminated, depending on the case. 

Guardianships of children can involve different types with differing responsibilities. A legal guardian can be appointed to fully care for the child and any estate the child may have, may be appointed for only certain duties, or may be appointed on a temporary basis. Courts appoint guardians to minors based on the best interests of the child. 

Contact Us Today To Speak With An Attorney

Personalized Service for Every Client
  • Relentless

    We are dedicated to fighting for you with excellence, and we won't back down from a challenge.

  • Honest
    You can trust that we will be transparent with you, and we'll communicate clearly every step of the way.
  • Compassionate
    We strive to provide ethical, personalized service for every client; you're never just a number to us.
  • Winning

    We navigate your case with passion and skill, and our results show it.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.